Between you and me, I am really not that crazy about boneless, skinless chicken breast. Oy. I’ll eat it and appreciate it for all that it is, whenever necessary, without question.. but, you know.
When cooking chicken, I always prefer to cook with the skin on and bone in. The following recipe is one that I made up on a whim, utilizing all of my preferences, desiring a ton of leftovers and hoping that the mixture of elements wouldn’t produce a traumatic experience for eaters. Ahem.
I hope you all enjoy. 😉
- 7-10 chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (with skin)
- 2 large cans of peeled, plum tomatoes in sauce, drained ½ way OR diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 lemons
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3-4 large carrots, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- Garlic powder
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
- Over medium heat on the stovetop, add olive oil to frying pan with minced garlic. Brown for 1 minute.
- Next, add the chicken over the garlic to brown on all sides until crispy (not fully cooked) while adding salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the chicken.
- Grease 1 or 2 large casserole dishes and place chicken thighs in. Pour plum tomatoes and ½ drained sauce over all chicken thighs. Halve all plum tomatoes and spread evenly around chicken thighs OR if using diced tomatoes, pour evenly over chicken.
- Next, add more olive oil and garlic to the frying pan.
- Sauté carrots and onions in the pan while adding garlic powder, salt and pepper to the mixture (about 7 minutes). When finished sautéing, pour all items over the chicken in casserole dish.
- Quarter the lemons and squeeze juice evenly over everything in the dish.
- Keep lemon pieces in the casserole dish to bake. Add parmesan cheese if you choose to use it.
- Bake on 325 for 1.5 hr -2 hr. Depending on how rushed you are, you may even get away with 1 hour on 350. The longer you cook it the more it will fall off the bone. You can always lower the heat to 300 and cook for 2.5-3 hours as well.